Jonathan LaPoma is an award-winning, best-selling novelist, screenwriter, songwriter, and poet from Buffalo, NY. In 2005, he received a BA in history and a secondary education credential from the State University of New York at Geneseo, and he traveled extensively throughout the United States and Mexico after graduating. These experiences have become the inspiration for much of his writing, which often explores themes of alienation and misery as human constructions that can be overcome through self-understanding and the acceptance of suffering.
LaPoma has written five novels, thirteen screenplays, and hundreds of songs and poems. His screenplays have won over 160 awards/honors at various international screenwriting competitions, and his black comedy script HARM FOR THE HOLIDAYS was optioned by Warren Zide along with Wexlfish Pictures (AMERICAN PIE, FINAL DESTINATION, THE BIG HIT) in July 2017.
LaPoma’s novels have been recommended by Kirkus Reviews and Barnes and Noble (B&N Press Presents list), have hit the #1 Amazon Bestseller lists in the “Satire,” “Urban Life,” “Metaphysical,” “Metaphysical & Visionary,” and “Religious & Inspirational” Kindle categories (USA, Canada, and Australia), and have won awards/honors in the 2018 Eric Hoffer Book Award, the 2016 and 2017 Florida Authors and Publishers Association President’s Awards, and the 2015 Stargazer Literary Prizes. He lives in Mexico City.
Awards and Recognition
- 2015 Buffalo Niagara Film Festival: Finalist
- 2014 Beverly Hills International Film Festival: Finalist
- 2015 Twister Alley International Film Festival: Finalist
- 2014 Table Read My Screenplay: Semifinalist
- 2014 Oaxaca Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2013 Oaxaca Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2015 Sacramento International Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2014 Sacramento International Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2014 Glendale International Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2015 WriteMovies37: Quarterfinalist