I'm an award-winning Chicago-based journalist who has written for TIME, The New York Times, The Atlantic, Fortune.com, US News & World Report, AFAR, Travel + Leisure, Reuters, Chicago Tribune, USA Today, Civil Eats, Crain's Chicago Business, Chicago magazine among many others. I've co-authored several books and worked as a ghostwriter and "book whisperer" for a variety of clients including former New York Times Motherlode editor KJ Dell'Antonia.
For stories, I've interviewed the likes of Maya Angelou and Justin Bieber, gone dog sledding in Alaska and eaten a cricket in Cambodia, investigated the deaths of sailors, covered the trial of former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich and demystified complicated investing topics. I've also served as president of the Chicago Headline Club, the largest Society of Professional Journalist chapter in the country, worked as managing editor of two national B2B food magazines and as a staff reporter at the Dallas Morning News and Tampa Bay Times.
As a generalist, I’m a Swiss Army knife who has the curiosity and reporting skills to quickly become an expert in any industry. Give me any topic and I'll make sure it's accurate, interesting and relevant.
How can I help you?
Learn more: www.dawnreiss.com
Cell: 312 DOT 590 DOT 1921
Awards and Recognition
- 2014 Circle of Achievement. Donald W. Reynolds Center for Business Journalism.
- 2010 Winner. Peter Lisagor Award, Chicago Headline Club, for best breaking news story online, Time.com "The Blagojevich case: Like the Ali-Frazier Rivalry."
- 2006 Winner. Florida Society of Professional Journalist, Awards of Excellence, St. Petersburg Times, "The Rhythm of Love."
- 2000 Wrote "Ride of his Life," a sports centerpiece feature about a cancer surviving cyclist, Buddy Boren, that contributed to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's selection of Associated Press Sports Editors (APSE) Top 10 Best Sports Sections for over 250,000 circulation.
- 1995 Girl Scout Gold Award recipient. Earned the highest honor in scouting, the female equivalent to the Eagle Scout award.