Louis L. Picone
Louis L. Picone is the author of "The President Is Dead! The Extraordinary Stories of the Presidential Deaths, Final Days, Burials, and Beyond" (Skyhorse Publishing) and "Where the Presidents Were Born: The History & Preservation of the Presidential Birthplaces" (Schiffer Publishing). He holds a Masters in History and also teaches American history at William Paterson University in Wayne, New Jersey. Louis is a member of the Authors Guild, Mensa International, and the American Historical Association. He is also a trustee on the board of the Grover Cleveland Birthplace Memorial Association in Caldwell, New Jersey.
Louis has spoken widely on the topic of the presidents and the places we commemorate them, including at the Grover Cleveland Birthplace State Historic Site, Morristown National Historical Park, Sons of the American Revolution, the Chancellor Robert R Livingston Masonic Library (New York City), James A. Garfield National Historic Site, and the June 2016 international conference “U.S. Presidents and Russian Rulers” at the Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow.
Awards and Recognition
- June 2016 Louis presenter at the international conference "U.S. Presidents and Russian Rulers" at the Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow.
- 2019 Ella Dickey Literacy Award (Missouri Cherry Blossom Festival)
Press and Media Mentions
- December 2019, Travel Channel "American Mystery" Season 1 Episode “Gone Missing” Discussed the mystery of John F, Kennedy’s missing brain
- February 17, 2020 (Presidents Day) Mel Magazine (online & in print for all Dollar-Shave-Club members) The article contains a link to The President is Dead! on Amazon “A Very Revealing History of Skinny-Dipping Presidents”
- October 2019 Mel Magazine (online & in print for all Dollar-Shave-Club members) “An Oral History of Trump’s Love Of Van Damme’s ‘Bloodsport’”
- December 12, 2018 NPR Radio “Weekend Edition Sunday” “Presidential Funerals: From Private Family Affairs To Major National Events”
- December 6, 2018 Washington Post “George H.W. Bush’s final ride: A train that connects him to a long presidential tradition”
- December 6, 2018 Atlanta News Journal “George H.W. Bush: Funeral train will be first in nearly 50 years” Featured in the article
- December 5, 2018 NPR Radio “The Takeaway” “How We Say Goodbye: Presidential Funerals and Moments of Unity”
- December 5, 2018 KCBS Radio San Francisco “A Historical Perspective of Presidential Funerals”
- November 31, 2018 BBC5Live, Interviewed a few hours after President Bush’s death was announced to discuss his legacy.
- September 1, 2017 Radio interview “House of Mystery” 1150 AM KKNW Seattle D
- July 17, 2017 www.HistoryAuthor.com Louis L. Picone – The President Is Dead! The Extraordinary Stories of the Presidential Deaths, Final Days, Burials, and Beyond.
- February 20, 2017 (Presidents Day) www.HistoryAuthor.com Louis L. Picone – Where the Presidents Were Born: The History & Preservation of the Presidential Birthplaces
- January 31, 2017 Hamilton Post "Hamilton native publishes two books about the lives of American presidents"
- January 8, 2017 Newark Star Ledger "Q&A with NJ writer who takes a presidential approach"
- September 11, 2016 New York Post "How America’s presidents lived their final moments"
- November 28, 2012 New York Daily News "New Yorker Louis Picone tracks Presidents right from the start, with book on all their birthplaces"