Marcia Meier is an award-winning writer, developmental book editor, writing coach, and publisher of Weeping Willow Books.
Marcia’s latest book, Face, A Memoir, was published in January 2021 by Saddle Road Press.
Her anthology, Unmasked, Women Write About Sex and Intimacy After Fifty, co-edited with Kathleen A. Barry, Ph.D., was published in 2018. Her other books include Ireland, Place Out of Time (Weeping Willow Books, 2017), Heart on a Fence, (Weeping Willow Books, 2016), Navigating the Rough Waters of Today's Publishing World, Critical Advice for Writers from Industry Insiders (Quill Driver Books, 2010) and Santa Barbara, Paradise on the Pacific, (Longstreet Press, 1996). Her podcast, “Girl Talk, Women, Aging and Sexuality,” can be heard on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify and many other podcast platforms. Listen and subscribe here.
Marcia’s poems have appeared in Writers Resist, Prime Number Magazine online, the anthology Knocking at the Door, Poems About Approaching the Other, and Sage Trail Literary Magazine. She has studied with Carolyn Forché (Hedgebrook in March 2016) and Kim Addonizio (six-week poetry workshop in fall 2017). A newspaper journalist for nearly 20 years, she has freelanced or written for numerous publications, including the Los Angeles Times, The Writer magazine, Santa Barbara Magazine, The Huffington Post, and Thrive Global..
She holds a bachelor's degree in journalism and an MFA in creative writing, and has taught writing workshops and numerous college and university courses.
Marcia is a member of the Author's Guild and the Association of Writers and Writing Programs.
Awards and Recognition
- Resolution in Appreciation honor dateJun 2010 honor issuerSanta Barbara County Board of Supervisors Resolution in Appreciation of contributions, leadership and dedication to the community. Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors, 2010
- Woman of Distinction Jun 2010 Association of Women in Communications, Santa Barbara Chapter
- From the Heart Media Award May 1994 Santa Barbara Mental Health Association "The 1994 Board of Directors of the Santa Barbara Mental Health Association acknowledges with gratitude the sensitive and informed editorials on severe mental illness, the homeless mentally ill, and related public policy issues of Marcia Meier, Editorial Page Editor of the Santa Barbara News-Press."
- Certificate of Congressional Recognition, 2010 Lois Capps, Member of Congress Presented in recognition of outstanding and invaluable service to the community.
- Best Op-Ed Page and Best Series of Editorials 1992 California Newspaper Publishers Association