Hello! I'm a children's author and photographer living in Minnesota. My husband and I have four sons; two children and two dogs. Corny, I know, but those puppers really are family.
When I'm not writing, I'm outdoors taking photos or hiking and exploring with my family. Or I'm attempting a crazy DIY project involving lots of hot glue.
Press and Media Mentions
- KIRKUS REVIEW A girl tries to find help for a stray baby animal in this picture book from debut author Hoppe and illustrator Reardon (Noodles’ and Albie’s Birthday Surprise, 2016). When Lottie and her dog, Rufus, find a lone “pup” (who’s not initially shown in the illustrations) on a trash-filled beach, they’re eager to help him. The girl approaches several people about helping the pup, each time answering questions about what he can do, but no one’s willing to take it in. The animal shelter worker assumes the pup is a dog—but when she gets a good look, she refuses to help. A park ranger thinks the pup might be a bat, and a sea lion keeper guesses it’s a sea lion, but they’re mistaken. Finally, Lottie finds a helpful marine-animal rescue team member, and readers discover the pup is a baby shark. Reardon’s realistic pastel-and-ink illustrations, populated with humans with a variety of skin tones, do an excellent job of hiding the identity of the pup and showing the adults’ shocked expr
- Who Will? Will You? is a picture book for ages 4-8 that receives lovely colorful illustrations by Milanka Reardon as it explores a young beachcomber's unusual find at the seashore. —D. Donovan, Sr. Reviewer, Midwest Book Review Lottie never expected to find something bigger than a shell, but a little pup tugs at her heartstrings and poses a problem far greater than locating the perfect shell. Many are interested in adopting Lottie's find...until they look into her wagon after initial excitement. The story evolves to question not only who will take charge of a stray, but why nobody will do so. A fun, unexpected conclusion teaches kids not only about shore life, but about what makes a welcoming home for a stray. Kids who love beaches and parents who love thought-provoking messages will find Who Will? Will You? engrossing and fun.
- Interview with Picture Book Spotlight
- Interview with Blue Whale Press
- Interview with my debut author's group
- Interview with Susanna Hill
- Interview with Kathy Temean
- GROG Blog Interview
- Interview in Rochester Post Bulletin