Dan Jonathan Henk
Born in 1972, on a small army base in the south, Dan Henk grew up on a diet of science fiction and horror. Playing soldier and building tree forts at the bases his dad was stationed at, everything was good until he got into metal and punk rock. That didn’t settle well with his super religious father, and at eighteen Dan was kicked out of his house. He spent the next eight months homeless, often living in the woods. Six months later, he was in the passenger seat of a car that flipped and his face broke the windshield. Soon after that, the tendon on his thumb was severed in a fight with a crackhead.
Despite the obstacles, the next six years were fairly productive, involving gallery showings, illustration work for Madcap Magazine, Maximum Rock and Roll, and a slew of bands and clubs. He was doing artwork on the side and finally attended art school, moving to NYC to make it a full time career.
Dan went on to be in more galleries, do more band artwork, and paintings for Aphrodesia and several Memento books. Magazines started to feature his tattoo work. But things continued to be difficult. Dan came down with brain cancer, and his wife died in a hit-and-run accident. He moved across the country, finished his first book, The Black Seas of Infinity, and had it published in 2011 by Anarchy Books. He started illustrations for Black Static Magazine, This Is Horror, and Splatterpunk, book covers for Deadite Press, The Living Corpse comic book, and more work for a slew of others. He began a regular comic strip for Tattoo Artist Magazine, as well as series of blogs for them. Starting in 2014, he starting writing regular columns for Skin Art and Tattoo Revue. He's since illustrated all the issues of Splatterpunk to date, both of their book releases (Splatterpunk's Not Dead and Splatterpunk: Fighting Back), as well as a just released anthology of their best stories "Past Indiscretions". Subsequently he illustrated the covers for the novels "Insatiable", "The Red Death" and "The Flood".
Permuted Press picked up his second novel, as well as his debut book for a re-issue in 2014, and Crossroad Press put out his latest book "the End of the World" in 2018.
Press and Media Mentions
- Philly Side Arts Interview
- Paul Semel Interview
- Read Horror Interview
- DL Snell interview by author Wayne Simmons
- Mil Sci-fi Interview
- Author Profile on the site Awesome Gang
- Featured Author on Book Reader Magazine!
- Interview With Author and Illustrator Dan Henk on the youtube blog "Pete's Basement"
- Great interview by the site "This Is Writing"
- Rogue Gallery feature on my latest novel!
- Great feature on Morbidly Beautiful
- Painful Pleasures interviewed me as part of their Artists in Spotlight feature
- This is writing interview about my book The End of the World
- UK based Big Tattoo Planet interview about my career
- Tattmag interview about my career so far
- NF Reads interview about my book The End of the World
- The famous Splatterpunk interviews me about my life and work
- Great interview on the UK site This is Horror
- Red Door Magazine Interview