David Haldane is an award-winning journalist, author, columnist, and radio broadcaster with homes in Joshua Tree, California, and Northern Mindanao, Philippines, where he writes a weekly column for the Gold Star Daily. He has published four books, the most recent of which--A Tooth in My Popsicle--is a collection of short essays about his life as an American expat in the Philippines.
A Tooth in My Popsicle (And Other Ebullient Essays on Becoming Filipino)
A collection of short essays recounting the surprising, spiritual, sometimes frightening, often hilarious, and always entertaining experiencing of adapting to life in a Third World country, namely the Philippines. Originally published as a weekly column in the Mindanao Gold Star Daily, one of that region's leading newspapers, the book was a finalist in the National Indie Excellence Awards and spent two weeks in the top spot on Amazon's list of bestsellers on Southeast Asia Travel. Haldane, a former Los Angeles Times staff writer, has homes in Joshua Tree, California, and Northern Mindanao, Philippines, where he lives with his Filipino wife and their two young children.
Jenny on the Street (And Other Tales of Reverence and Revolution by a Very Young Man)2021
Nazis & Nudists2015
Awards and Recognition
- Finalist, National Indie Excellence Awards, A Tooth in My Popsicle, (Category – Travel) 2023
- Golden Mike Award for short radio feature, KCDZ 107.7 FM, Radio and TV News Association of Southern California, 2018
- Finalist, McGrath House Independent Book Awards, Nazis & Nudists, 2017
- Runner-up, Maxy Awards for Nazis & Nudists, 2016
- Finalist, Nonfiction E-book and Memoir, Next Generation Indie Book Awards for Nazis & Nudists, 2017
- Finalist, Supple Religion Writer of the Year, Religion Newswriters Association, 2007
- Credited Contributor, Pulitzer Prize in Breaking News, Los Angeles Times staff coverage of California wildfires, 2004
- By-lined Contributor, Pulitzer Prize in Spot News, Los Angeles Times staff coverage of Los Angeles riots, 1993
- Citation for excellence from Odyssey Institute Concerns of Children Media Awards for the five-part series "Molestation: Betrayal of a Child", 1981