I'm a science reporter based in the San Francisco Bay Area. I teach at UC Berkeley's Graduate School of Journalism and my first book, WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY, will be released by Basic Books in December, 2015. I was formerly a staff writer at the East Bay Express, as well as a writer and editor for science and environmental magazines.
We Have The Technology
We Have The Technology explores the cutting edge of efforts to hack sensory perception -- using ideas as old as language and as new as brain implants. A work of literary non-fiction, it includes interviews and adventures in the field with over 100 scientists, biohackers, chefs, perfumers, engineers, doctors and many others exploring how the brain constructs our individual "realities" -- and what might be done to alter or expand our perception of the world.
Awards and Recognition
- American Association for the Advancement of Science Journalism Award, 2008
- Missouri Lifestyle Journalism Award, 2006
- Association for Women in Communications Clarion Award, 2006 & 2005
- Evert Clark/Seth Payne Award for Young Science Journalists, 2004
- California Teachers Association Award for Media Excellence, 2002