Beowulf Sheehan is a New-York based author portrait photographer, working in studio, on location, and remotely. His photographs have been published in the likes of Entertainment Weekly, Esquire, The New Yorker, Time, Vanity Fair, and Vogue and been exhibited at the Dostoevsky Museum, International Center of Photography, Museum of the City of New York, and New-York Historical Society. Notable subjects photographed include Chinua Achebe, Joe Biden, Stephen Colbert, Joan Didion, Karl Ove Knausgaard, Toni Morrison, Patti Smith, Stephen Sondheim, and Oprah Winfrey. Among his recent subjects whose books are publishing in 2023 are Burkhard Bilger (for FATHERLAND, Random House), Monica Brashears (for HOUSE OF COTTON, Flatiron Books), Rachel Eliza Griffiths (for PROMISE, Random House), Hanna Pylväinen (for THE END OF DRUM-TIME, Henry Holt and Company), Safiya Sinclair (for HOW TO SAY BABYLON, Simon & Schuster), and Monica Youn (for FROM FROM, Graywolf Press).
AUTHOR: The Portraits of Beowulf Sheehan
AUTHOR: The Portraits of Beowulf Sheehan (Black Dog & Leventhal/Hachette, foreword by Salman Rushdie) is a collection of portraits of 200 writers from 35 countries. Partial proceeds from book sales support BookUp, an educational program of the National Book Foundation to inspire reading by young people across the US.
Press and Media Mentions
- Beowulf Sheehan on what it was like to photograph Cormac McCarthy
- On Learning to Take Author Photos Remotely During the Pandemic
- What I Learned From Photographing Great Writers
- An Evening Spent Contemplating “Literary Service”: Inside the PEN America Literary Gala
- To Celebrate What's Wonderful: Beowulf Sheehan Interviewed by Maria Dahvana Headley