Jeff Nania is a former law enforcement officer, writer, conservationist, and biofuel creator. He is the author of three fiction books, the award-winning Figure Eight (2019), Spider Lake (2020), and Bough Cutter (2021) in his Northern Lakes Mystery series published by Little Creek Press. His narrative non-fiction writing has appeared in Wisconsin Outdoor News, Double Gun Journal, The Outlook, and other publications.
Jeff was born and raised in Wisconsin. His family settled in Madison’s storied Greenbush neighborhood. His father often loaded Jeff, his brothers, and a couple of dogs into an old jeep station wagon and set out for outdoor adventures. These experiences were foundational for developing a sense of community, a passion for outdoor traditions, and a love of our natural resources.
Jeff has been recognized locally, statewide, and nationally. Outdoor Life Magazine named him as one of the nation’s 25 most influential conservationists, and he received the National Wetlands Award for his wetland restoration work. The Wisconsin Senate commended Jeff with a Joint Resolution for his work with wetlands, education, and as a non-partisan advisor on natural resources.
Now a full-time novelist, Jeff spends as much time as possible exploring outdoor Wisconsin with his friends and family.
Bough Cutter: A Northern Lakes Mystery
John Cabrelli, the interim sheriff of Namekagon County, is adjusting to his new role in the expansive rural landscape in Northern Wisconsin. When grouse hunters stumble upon a body in the backwoods, Cabrelli works to untangle the complex case, while stressed relationships, public outcries for justice, and pressure from the media compound the situation. He soon finds his greatest resource is the community itself.
Bough Cutter is the third book in the best-selling Northern Lakes Mystery series and is perfect for fans of Victoria Houston, C J Box, and Patricia Skalka. Award-winning author Jeff Nania keeps readers wondering who is on the right side of the law in the small town of Musky Falls.
Spider Lake: A Northern Lakes Mystery2020
Figure Eight: A Northern Lakes Mystery2019
Awards and Recognition
- Figure Eight: A Northern Lakes Mystery was the winner of the 2020 Midwest Book Awards for Mystery/Thriller.
Press and Media Mentions
- Wisconsin State Journal “Northwoods novels from Portage man explore crime, wetlands and the occasional muskie” by Barry Adams, 10-4-20
- Wisconsin State Journal “Portage author, Jeff Nania, shows off one of his many restored wetlands” by Barry Adams, 9-30-20
- 103.5 The Sun interview with Rex Owens, aired 9-7-20
- Portage Daily Register “Lewiston resident wins first place award for debut novel” by Nicole Aimone, 7-22-2020
- Sawyer County Record “Nania’s ‘Figure Eight’ wins Midwest Book Award,” 7-8-2020
- “Profiles in Encouragement” on The Writescast Network, 6-26-2020
- Wisconsin Public Radio interview on the Larry Meiller Show, 3-5-2020
- WRCO Radio Interview, 2-14-20
- Madison Magazine “Jeff Nania Restores Wetlands, Writes Mysteries” by Doug Moe, 1-6-2020
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel “Three Wisconsin books and a calendar to consider as gifts this season” by Paul Smith, 12-14-19
- Portage Daily Register “Author to visit Readers Realm,” 11-14-19
- Columbus Journal “Columbus Books and Beer features mystery novelist” by Valerie Biel, 11-11-19
- Sawyer County Record “Author’s Night features mystery close to home” by Marty Zych, 5-17-2019
- WRLS–FM Radio Interview, 5-17-2019
- Peninsula Pulse “‘Art of Water III’ in Algoma, May 3-5” by Door County Pulse, 4-23-2019
- Richland Center Observer “Wisconsin Author to Speak at Ocooch Books” by Jean Birkett, 2-14-19
- WRCO Radio Interview, 2-14-19
- Wisconsin Outdoor News “Readers following Nania’s first book” by Tim Eisele, 3-8-2019
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel “Here are four outdoors-related books with a Wisconsin flavor to consider as holiday gifts” by Paul Smith, 12-9-2018