Monica Drake is the award-winning author of two novels and one linked story collection, Clown Girl, (Hawthorne Books) The Stud Book (Hogarth) and the Folly of Loving Life (FutureTense Books). Her essays and stories have appeared in the New York Times, Modern Love, Oregon Humanities Magazine, Paris Review Daily, The Rumpus, Gay Magazine, Northwest Review and other publications.
For most of the past twenty years she has been a professor at the Pacific Northwest College of Art, where she designed and launched the BFA in Writing, blending the craft of writing with considering visual art techniques and concerns.
Awards and Recognition
- IPPY (Independent Publishing Book Award) 2007
Press and Media Mentions
- New York Times feature. In featured photo.
- Superstition Review: Interview
- Willamette Week
- Tin House: The Folly of Loving Life (Podcast)
- Rain Taxi: The Folly of Loving Life (Review)
- The Wisdom of Loving The Folly of Loving Life: Review
- Heavy Feather Review: The Folly of Loving Life (review)
- Hawthorne Books. re. New York Times "Modern Love" by Monica Drake.
- Modern Love: Life Was a Roving Party...
- nbcnewyork Kristin Wiig regarding Clown Girl: " Wiig on her optioning of "Clown Girl" ... "I fell in love with that book before I was even a third of the way through. She (Monica Drake) is just such an interesting writer and I've fallen in love the material. I just hope I can do it justice."
- The Guardian (Mention: Clown Girl, Hollywood.)