Maria G. Burns
Professor, Faculty Senator for Research & Scholarship, Researcher, and Author.
20 years in leadership maritime positions & Coast Guard Aux. Honorary Member.
Research Grants as PI and Co-PI have exceeded $1,350,000, while also collaborated in larger-scale projects.
Research entails political science and resolves issues of homeland security, policy analysis, transnational criminal networks, quantitative & qualitative data analytics, diplomacy and geopolitics, risk management, emergency response, maritime, economics, transportation, etc.
Since 2014 I serve as Faculty, Researcher of the BTI Institute, and Director of LTPP, led by the College of Technology, University of Houston.
Since 2018 I lead a DHS-funded educational grant, and have been the lead course developer for a new Undergrad Program, a Graduate Program, and two Certification/Continuing Education Programs.
From 2020-2022 I am the Co-PI in a State Department research/educational project.
CliftonStrengths: Top-6 Talents:
1. Strategic. I create alternative ways to proceed. I identify patterns and solutions in any given scenario.
2. Achiever. I work hard and possess a great deal of stamina. I take immense satisfaction in productivity.
3. Focus. I can take a direction, follow through and remain on track. I prioritize, then act.
4. Relator & Team Individualization: I can identify each person's skills and hidden traits, and create productive networks.
5. Ideation/Brainstormer: Very creative. I am fascinated by new ideas, and find connections between seemingly disparate phenomena.
6. Futuristic. I am inspired by the future and what could be. I energize others with my visions of the future.
Awards and Recognition
- Elected Faculty Senator of Research and Scholarship (2021-2024) at the University of Houston.
- US Coast Guard Aux., Lifetime Honorary Member
- "Port Management and Operations" Book is Ranked #3 among the "Seven Books to Better Understand the Shipping Industry," by the Maritime Executive Publishing House, and among the "Top 3 Maritime & Port Management Books" per the Marine Insight Journal.
- “Excellence in Emergency Management Award” by the Emergency Management Association of Texas (EMAT).
- Certificate of Excellence, the Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Certificate of Excellence in Research, the University of Houston Provost's Office
- Best Graduate Dissertation Award, Master of Science in International Trade & Transport from the London Metropolitan University, UK.
- Best Dissertation Award from Taylor & Francis Publishers, UK for her Graduate Dissertation, LondonMet
- Private Sector Advisory Council (PSAC), Membership, whose role is to advise the Governor of Texas in matters of security.
- Co-Founder of BTI & Thrust Lead for Education & Workforce Development, BTI Institute, UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON.
Press and Media Mentions
- Maritime Book ranked #2 among the 'Top 8 Maritime & Port Management Books', The Maritime Insight newspaper. (2018)
- Maritime book Ranked among the 'Top 3' among the 'Seven Books to Better Understand the Shipping Industry', The Maritime Executive Journal. (2017).
- Reuters News: "Vessels will avoid areas lacking cleaner maritime fuel" (2019).
- NASDAQ Stock Exchange "Vessels will avoid areas lacking cleaner maritime fuel," (2019).
- CW39 Houston TV. "Hyperloop coming to Texas but not necessarily Houston" (2018)
- Houstonia Magazine "Elon Musk’s Latest Project Could Come to Houston" (2018)
- Safety4Sea "Potential low sulphur fuel shortages may appear in some ports"
- Ship & Bunker News "Shortages of Compliant Fuel in Some Ports, Conference Hears"
- Finance Yahoo "Vessels will avoid areas lacking cleaner maritime fuel"