Maria G. Burns
Prof. Maria Burns is an acclaimed author and scientific researcher, with U.S. Government Grants exceeding $1.,350,000, plus multi-million dollar group projects. She is a National Academies scholar and a proud Honorary Member of the US Coast Guard Aux.
A prolific author of STEM, she conducts multidisciplinary scientific research in the realms of finance, economics, political science, data science (big data analytics), policy analysis, maritime, energy, homeland security, etc. ( ORCID ID: 0000-0002-5241-1501 ).
Her published work with Routledge/Taylor & Francis includes the books:
“Port Management & Operations” (2014); "Logistics & Transportation Security" (2016); “Managing Energy Security: a Critical Infrastructure guide to resilience (2019), and Maritime Security and Operations (2021). Her books have been adopted by global universities, in the areas of global business, finance, economics, trade & transport, security, risk management, policy, etc.
In addition, she has developed numerous research and training manuals for the Government (DHS/CBP/USCG), but also the maritime and energy industries.
She is a valued lead researcher, with Government Research Grants exceeding $1,350,000 funded by the U.S. Department of State; Department of Homeland Security, etc. She has served as a thrust lead for education in the Borders, Trade, and Immigration Institute, a DHS Center of Excellence. She remains a lead course developer for new Academic and Training Programs for the University of Houston, the Texas Southern University, and Maritime Organizations.
Prof. Burns is a certified Maritime Auditor for Security (ISPS), Safety (ISM), Quality, and the Environment. She holds two Masters degrees, one in Maritime/International Trade and Transport (London Metropolitan University, UK), and one in Political Science (University of Houston). Her Doctoral research in Political Science (University of Houston) focuses on Human Trafficking and the activities of Transnational Criminal Organizations.
Multilingual: English, Italian, French, Greek, etc.
Classic Languages: Ancient Greek & Latin
Classic Education: History, Anthropology, etc.
Awards and Recognition
- US Coast Guard Aux., Lifetime Honorary Member
- "Port Management and Operations" Book is Ranked #3 among the "Seven Books to Better Understand the Shipping Industry," by the Maritime Executive Publishing House, and among the "Top 3 Maritime & Port Management Books" per the Marine Insight Journal.
- “Excellence in Emergency Management Award” by the Emergency Management Association of Texas (EMAT).
- Certificate of Excellence, the Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Certificate of Excellence in Research, the University of Houston Provost's Office
- Best Graduate Dissertation Award, Master of Science in International Trade & Transport from the London Metropolitan University, UK.
- Best Dissertation Award from Taylor & Francis Publishers, UK for her Graduate Dissertation, LondonMet
- Private Sector Advisory Council (PSAC), Membership, whose role is to advise the Governor of Texas in matters of security.
- Co-Founder of BTI & Thrust Lead for Education & Workforce Development, BTI Institute, UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON.
Press and Media Mentions
- Maritime Book ranked #2 among the 'Top 8 Maritime & Port Management Books', The Maritime Insight newspaper. (2018)
- Maritime book Ranked among the 'Top 3' among the 'Seven Books to Better Understand the Shipping Industry', The Maritime Executive Journal. (2017).
- Reuters News: "Vessels will avoid areas lacking cleaner maritime fuel" (2019).
- NASDAQ Stock Exchange "Vessels will avoid areas lacking cleaner maritime fuel," (2019).
- CW39 Houston TV. "Hyperloop coming to Texas but not necessarily Houston" (2018)
- Houstonia Magazine "Elon Musk’s Latest Project Could Come to Houston" (2018)
- Safety4Sea "Potential low sulphur fuel shortages may appear in some ports"
- Ship & Bunker News "Shortages of Compliant Fuel in Some Ports, Conference Hears"
- Finance Yahoo "Vessels will avoid areas lacking cleaner maritime fuel"