Maria G. Burns
Prof. Maria Burns is an acclaimed author, which combines scientific, literary, and audiovisual work. She is a National Academies scholar and a proud Honorary Member of the US Coast Guard Aux.
A prolific author, she conducts multidisciplinary scientific research in the realms of political science, data science, maritime, energy, homeland security, as well as literature ( ORCID ID: 0000-0002-5241-1501 ).
Her published work includes the books:
“Port Management & Operations” (2014); "Logistics & Transportation Security" (2016); “Managing Energy Security: a Critical Infrastructure guide to resilience (2019), and Maritime Security and Operations (2021).
In addition, she has developed numerous research and training manuals for the Government (DHS/CBP/USCG), but also the maritime and energy industries.
She is a valued principal investigator with the Borders, Trade, and Immigration Institute, a DHS Center of Excellence, since 2015, with research Grants exceeding $500,000. Since 2018 she leads a DHS-funded educational grant and is the lead course developer for a new Academic Program comprising Undergraduate, Graduate, and Certification/Continuing Education Programs.
Prof. Burns is a certified Maritime Auditor for Security (ISPS), Safety (ISM), Quality, and the Environment. She holds two Masters degrees, one in Maritime/International Trade and Transport (London Metropolitan University, UK), and one in Political Science (University of Houston). Her Doctoral research in Political Science (University of Houston) focuses on Human Trafficking and the activities of Transnational Criminal Organizations.
Multilingual: English, Italian, French, Greek, etc.
Classic Languages: Ancient Greek & Latin
Classic Education: History, Anthropology, Music Composition.
Awards and Recognition
- US Coast Guard Aux., Lifetime Honorary Member
- "Port Management and Operations" Book is Ranked #3 among the "Seven Books to Better Understand the Shipping Industry," by the Maritime Executive Publishing House, and among the "Top 3 Maritime & Port Management Books" per the Marine Insight Journal.
- “Excellence in Emergency Management Award” by the Emergency Management Association of Texas (EMAT).
- Certificate of Excellence, the Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Certificate of Excellence in Research, the University of Houston Provost's Office
- Best Graduate Dissertation Award, Master of Science in International Trade & Transport from the London Metropolitan University, UK.
- Best Dissertation Award from Taylor & Francis Publishers, UK for her Graduate Dissertation, LondonMet
- Private Sector Advisory Council (PSAC), Membership, whose role is to advise the Governor of Texas in matters of security.
- Co-Founder of BTI & Thrust Lead for Education & Workforce Development, BTI Institute, UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON.
Press and Media Mentions
- Maritime Book ranked #2 among the 'Top 8 Maritime & Port Management Books', The Maritime Insight newspaper. (2018)
- Maritime book Ranked among the 'Top 3' among the 'Seven Books to Better Understand the Shipping Industry', The Maritime Executive Journal. (2017).
- Reuters News: "Vessels will avoid areas lacking cleaner maritime fuel" (2019).
- NASDAQ Stock Exchange "Vessels will avoid areas lacking cleaner maritime fuel," (2019).
- CW39 Houston TV. "Hyperloop coming to Texas but not necessarily Houston" (2018)
- Houstonia Magazine "Elon Musk’s Latest Project Could Come to Houston" (2018)
- Safety4Sea "Potential low sulphur fuel shortages may appear in some ports"
- Ship & Bunker News "Shortages of Compliant Fuel in Some Ports, Conference Hears"
- Finance Yahoo "Vessels will avoid areas lacking cleaner maritime fuel"