Pamela Hamilton is a writer and consultant who has worked with notable figures in business, US intelligence, music, and the arts, and has covered some of the most significant events of the twenty-first century. For more than a decade she was a producer for NBC News, and she was a producer on the award-winning documentary Grateful Dawg. Based in Manhattan, she serves on the board of the Society of Professional Journalists' Deadline Club. Her debut novel, Lady Be Good, is drawn from original research.
Lady Be Good: The Life and Times of Dorothy Hale
A moving portrait of Dorothy Hale, the legendary 1930s socialite immortalized in one of Frida Kahlo's most celebrated paintings. In her vibrant debut novel Pamela Hamilton delivers glamour, romance, tragedy, a close and stormy friendship with famed playwright and Vogue and Vanity Fair editor Clare Boothe Luce and the enchanting story of a woman navigating a world of incredible wealth and power in New York, Paris, Hollywood, and grand estates of the Gold Coast—a perfect book club read.
"Magnificent. An enthralling and heartbreaking journey." -Bill Dedman, Pulitzer Prize winner and New York Times #1 bestselling author of Empty Mansions
Lady Be Good transports us to the glittering, sumptuous era of 1920s New York to follow the life of aspiring actress Dorothy Hale as she comes of age. Breaking societal rules imposed on women, "Peck's Bad Girl of Pittsburgh Society" leaves behind her privileged world for the bright lights of Broadway to chase her dream. From convent-school debutante runaway to Ziegfeld showgirl to Hollywood star, Hale transforms herself into one of the most adored figures in the highest echelons of society. Yet behind the public façade the darling of the press contends with heart-rending loss, gossip and betrayal, and a tempestuous friendship with Luce.
Surrounded by her fabulous circle of friends-Gertrude Stein, Fred Astaire, Cole Porter, James Roosevelt, Elsa Maxwell, and other iconic figures-Dorothy finds her way to the other side of heartbreak and prepares for a White House wedding. Then, suddenly, at age thirty-three, at the height of happiness and peak of her fame, she falls to her death. Her life story is revised and written into history by the tabloids and the famed and fêted-leading to this novel's stunning conclusion.
Former NBC producer Pamela Hamilton turns her journalism skills on discovering the facts about Dorothy Hale's story, then spins them with color and life into breathtaking revelations about the irresistible and misunderstood glamour girl whose legend has endured for more than half a century.
Awards and Recognition
- A Kirkus Best Book of the Year
- Booklife by Publishers’ Weekly Editors Pick
- Winner of the 2022 IBPA Benjamin Franklin Award for Historical Fiction
- Winner of the National Indie Excellence Award for Chick-Lit
- National Indie Excellence Award Silver Medal
- Winner of the Royal Dragonfly Book Award for Fiction
- Winner of the Royal Dragonfly Book Award for Historical Fiction
- Readers’ Favorite International Book Award
- American Fiction Award
- IAN Book of the Year Award
Press and Media Mentions
- BookReporter Predicts Buzz for Lady Be Good: Spring Preview 2021
- Lady Be Good Selected by Literary Hub as a Must-Read: Five most stellar books of fiction with unusually affecting female characters...
- Legendary NY Post Columnist Cindy Adams Highlights Lady Be Good: "Historic tomes. Tomorrow’s books are all about yesterday... "
- The Price of Friendship by C.P. Lesley
- Award-Winning Author Pamela Hamilton interviewed on New Books Network