Brian Michael Murphy
I am currently at work on a nonfiction book titled "We the Dead: Preserving Data at the End of the World" (under contract with University of North Carolina Press). I am a media studies professor at Bennington College, a staff blogger for The Kenyon Review, and director of the Kenyon Review Young Writers Workshop. My poems and essays have appeared in Narrative, Kenyon Review, Mississippi Review, Media-N, Waxwing, and in Italian translation in Ácoma. I earned a Ph.D. in Comparative Studies from The Ohio State University, where I was a Presidential Fellow, and have previously served as Visiting Assistant Professor of American Studies at Miami University (OH).
Awards and Recognition
- Presidential Fellowship, The Ohio State University, 2013-14
- AWP Writer to Writer Program, 2019, Mentor: Dawn Raffel
- Nominee, Best New Poets Anthology, 2019 (for "Of Weapons")
- Finalist, Poetry Society of America Chapbook Fellowship, 2019
- Vermont Arts Council Creation Grant, 2018
Press and Media Mentions
- “Forum explores the state of journalism,” Bennington Banner, November 18, 2018.
- Interview, The KR Conversations, October 2018
- “Cardi B Breaks 19 Year-Old Billboard Music Record,” News Interview by Eva McKend, WCAX-TV, South Burlington, VT, October 2017
- “Ideas Take Center Stage at ArtsRiot This Fall” by Sadie Williams, Seven Days, November 17, 2016