Rosemary (Romy) Wyllie
Romy Wyllie started writing in her mid-sixties and has published five books. Three books are on architecture and interior design: "Caltech’s Architectural Heritage: From Spanish Tile to Modern Stone" (Balcony Press, 2000, 287 pp.), "Bertram Goodhue: His Life and Residential Architecture" (W. W. Norton, 2007, 224 pp.), and a monograph "Eva Maddox: Innovator, Designer, Educator" (Images Publishing Group, Pty, Ltd, Victoria, Australia, 2017, 279 pp.). Wyllie’s memoir: "Loving Andrew: a Fifty-Two-Year Story of Down Syndrome" (CreateSpace, 2012, 306 pp.), has won eight awards. Wyllie expects to release her most recent memoir, "From There to Here: War, Peace, Pandemic" (IngramSpark) in November 2020. In addition to her books, Wyllie wrote a chapter “The Architecture of the National Academy of Sciences” in Convergence: The Art Collection of the National Academy of Sciences (National Academy of Sciences, 2012). Wyllie is an Honorary Alumna of Caltech, where she was Director of a volunteer Architectural Tour Service for 33 years. Wyllie had her own interior design business for 35 years and continues to be a professional member of the International Interior Design Association. She has an MA in English and History from the University of St. Andrews, Scotland (1955), and post-graduate diplomas in Business and Secretarial Practices, and Interior Design.
Awards and Recognition
- June 2013. LOVING ANDREW: IndieReader Discovery Awards - 2nd place non-fiction
- December 2013. LOVING ANDREW: Kirkus Review and IndieReader - Best Indie Books of 2013
- March 2014. LOVING ANDREW: Beverly Hills Book Awards - finalist in Parenting and Family.
- May, 2014. LOVING ANDREW: The Eric Hoffer Awards - Honorable Mention in Memoir; Finalist for Grand Prize and Montaigne Medal.
- May 2014. LOVING ANDREW: National Indie Excellence Book Awards - finalist in Parenting and Family.
- October 2016. LOVING ANDREW: Book Excellence Awards - Finalist in Parenting
- October 2017. LOVING ANDREW: Earthshine John E Weaver Excellent Reads Awards - Winner in Parenting