Carla Leslie Perry
CARLA PERRY is a graduate of the University of Iowa Writers Workshop, with a BA in Creative Writing/Poetry. She is the founder of the monthly Nye Beach Writers' Series and Writers On The Edge, and served as Executive Director of that organization for 14 years. Carla received the Stewart Holbrook Special Oregon Book Award for her outstanding contributions to Oregon's literary community, and the Oregon Governor's Art Award for the longevity and quality of Writers on The Edge. She has also been granted an Oregon Literary Arts Fellowship in Fiction, a Career Opportunity Grant from the Oregon Arts Commission, and several writing residencies for completion of her own work.
From 1992 to 1995, she co-wrote and published the literary magazine "Wild Dog" while living on the road in a 1976 Chevy campervan. She is also the founding editor and publisher of "Talus & Scree International Literary Journal" (1997 to 1999). Her first book of poems and illustrations, "No Questions Asked, No Answers Given," was published in 1971. "Laughing Like Dogs," a book of her poetry, photos and line drawings, was published in 1996. Her novel, "Riva Beside Me: New York City 1963-1966," was released as a paperback and eBook in 2012. The script for the staged reading was performed in various locations throughout Oregon in 2014, and is in development as a full stage play.
"Wanderlust," a book of Carla's poetry and photographs, was released in 2014 by Foothills Publishing in New York. A 30-day, cross-country Amtrak whistle-stop reading tour in the spring of 2014 was set up by the publisher.
She was the owner of Dancing Moon Press for more than 22 years, but retired in 2019 and sold the business.
Awards and Recognition
- 2003 Oregon Governor’s Arts Award
- 2002 Oregon Book Award - Stewart Holbrook Special Award
- 2005 Morris Graves Foundation Artists Residency, August 21–September 9, 2005
- 2008 Oregon Arts Commission, Career Opportunity Grant to complete novel
- 2005 Soapstone Residency, January 21–February 11, 2005
- 2004 Caldera residency, December 5-18, 2004
- 2004 Oregon Literary Fellowship in Fiction from Literary Arts, Inc.
Press and Media Mentions
- "Wanderlust," a book of poems and sixteen photo illustrations
- Reviews of "Riva Beside Me" on Goodreads
- Reviews of "Riva Beside Me" on Amazon
- Review of "Riva Beside Me" in the Portland Oregonian
- The poem "Oregon Rain" in Oregon State Archives
- "Roy Rogers Kissed Trigger A Lot" featured in Oregon Literary Review
- Two poems by Carla Perry in "Open Mic For Earnest Ears"
- Feature story about "Writers On The Edge" in Northwest Coast Magazine
- Item on staged readings of "Riva Beside Me" in News Lincoln County