SCBWI Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators
IBPA Independent Book Publishers Association
LISA COLE is a born, raised, and seasoned Southern storyteller who fell in love with the power of narrative very early and began writing short stories at age 6. Today her chief subjects are love, motherhood, and sibling bonds, giving a recognizable Southern voice to the hidden emotions sparked by our daily human encounters. Digging into individual histories and exploring family relationships, she writes under the motto, “Stories Bond Us All.” Her first picture book, While Mommy Was Fast Asleep, was an instant success, selling over 100 copies in its first week.
Over the past decade, Lisa has developed into an eclectic freelance writer and editor for blogs, websites, entrepreneurs, non-profit organizations, schools, and more than 12,000 social media followers. In May 2018, she posted an appreciation of Meghan Markle’s mother that went viral and garnered 1.4 million reactions in just 24 hours. She has also contributed research and writing to a number of print magazines and books, including Reach Out, Columbia and Dave Newell’s epic noir, Red Lory.
Lisa has degrees in business management and marketing and is pursuing her MBA. She has worked in preschools and for a large non-profit telecommunications company for the hearing impaired. A passionate champion for family success and parental choice within the public school system, she serves on the Board of Directors of a Mandarin immersion charter school and is active in the Junior League.
“I want to encourage mothers who are in the trenches of parenting, and let them know that they are not alone in their darker thoughts and feelings,” she says. “I also hope to inspire families to break the mold, smash through social barriers, and treat each other with fairness and compassion.”
Lisa’s hobbies include primitive camping, philosophical exchanges with friends, following both SciFi and real science, picking up Legos, and hiding from her rambunctious children. Her writing is peppered with humor and insight on subjects like language and non-verbal communication. Her family embraces the personification of pets, like the gentle but snooty rescue beagle whose Instagram is called “Betty White is Judging You.”
Lisa still lives in South Carolina where her father’s family settled in 1952. She has no plans to move away. But even if she did, she’s always online at LisaBCole.com.
Press and Media Mentions
- LOCAL MEDIA: Vestra Lingua Publishing holds its ribbon-cutting
- West Columbia, SC – A new business has announced their opening in the West Columbia area of Lexington County. Vestra Lingua Publishing, a trade publishing house that invests in local talent, has just had...
- WORLD JOURNAL: The performances of the day included Drum playing “Good days”, Chinese dances “Hua Dan”, “Tujia style”, “A-la-mu-han”, “Water source”, “Love of Yellow soil”, dramas “Kitten fishing” and “Chinese New Year”, and strings playing “Jasmine Flower” and “Chinese folk fantasy”. The Board Members of EPA, Dr. Perez and Ms. Lisa Cole, EPA’s PTO Chairman Ms. Shoulders, and parent representatives Mrs. Janis Salter and Mrs. Webster also performed Chinese big drums, besides the Assistant Principal, Junlan Li, Chinese speaking teachers, Di Lu and Qi Gao, and two English speaking teachers Ms. Elease Anderson and Mrs. Amber Fowler. EPA also announced that ...
- MAGAZINE ARTICLE: Interested in serving others? Catch “Volunteering: Matters of the Heart” in the January 2018 print issue of Reach Out Columbia. Article also available online.
- Writer Lisa Cole shared a Facebook post once the wedding concluded, applauding the strength she saw in Meghan Markle's mother. In it, she described what the rest of us had struggled to put into words. "Can we just take a moment," she wrote, "to honor this..... [READ MORE]
- Freelance writer Lisa Cole makes headlines in South Africa: “Moving Message About Meghan’s Mom, Doria Ragland, Reaches Over 1 Million People“
- WACH (FOX): A Columbia mother has gained worldwide attention after she shared a heartfelt Facebook post praising Doria Ragland as she watched her daughter Meghan Markle marry into the British royal family.
- FOX CAROLINA: A South Carolina mother is reaching people all over the world with a social media post she wrote about the mother of the new Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle.
- WIS (NBC)...She later comes back and edits the post to add a shout out to all mothers and women all over the world....
- INTERVIEW ON WLTX (CBS): Lisa Cole on Friends at Five discussing the power of positive words and the need to support mothers in society
- SHORT STORY: This week, Lisa Cole’s four children give her an unexpected anniversary gift. (Featured story on Akashic Books)
- COMMUNITY: Lisa Cole named as 2017-2018 Board of Directors Member at Large for East Point Academy
- INTERVIEW: "Some people do it. Some people totally transform their lives. Some people radically change their limiting circumstances. Some people overcome all odds, all obstacles. Lisa Cole is one of those people..."