April Halprin Wayland
April Halprin Wayland is the author of seven books, including More Than Enough—a Passover Story (Dial); the gold medal-winning New Year at the Pier (Dial), and the award-winning novel in poems, Girl Coming in for a Landing (Knopf).
She blogs at www.TeachingAuthors.com, is a frequent speaker at schools and conferences, and received UCLA Extension Writer's Program Outstanding Instructor award, where she has been teaching since 1999.
When she is not writing, April plays the fiddle, hikes with her dog, and helps people vote. She lives near the beach in Southern California with her husband, their licky, lanky dog, a tortoise named Sheldon (because he has a shell) and a cat named Snot.
Visit her at www.AprilWayland.com where you'll discover that she's 1/2 author, 1/2 poet, 1/2 not good at fractions.
Awards and Recognition
- OUTSTANDING CREATIVE WRITING TEACHER OF THE YEAR, UCLA Extension Writers' Program
- NEW YEAR AT THE PIER—a Rosh Hashanah story (Dial) illustrated by Stéphane Jorisch * winner of the Sydney Taylor Gold Book Award, the highest honor bestowed by the Association of Jewish Libraries * starred review in Publishers Weekly * named Best Book of the Year by Tablet Magazine
- GIRL COMING IN FOR A LANDING--a novel in poems (Knopf) illustrated by Elaine Clayton * winner of the Myra Cohn Livingston Award for Best Poetry Book * winner Penn State’s Lee Bennett Hopkins Honor Award for Poetry * Junior Library Guild selection * Nominated as a Best Book for Young Adults by the American Library Association (ALA) * Nominated for Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers by ALA * selected for the California Collections by California Readers
- IT'S NOT MY TURN TO LOOK FOR GRANDMA! (Knopf) illustrated by The New Yorker cartoonist, George Booth * starred review, School Library Journal * recommended on PBS's "Storytime" * selected for the California Collections by California Readers * Library of Congress’ National Library Services for the Blind recording
- TO RABBITTOWN (Scholastic), illustrated by Robin Spowart * Junior Library Guild selection * starred review in School Library Journal; * MommyCare's Book of the Year
- Seven-time poetry winner from the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators
- IT’S NOT MY TURN TO LOOK FOR GRANDMA AND OTHER STORIES ~ includes five stories, seventeen poems and a fiddle tune~ *National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA) Gold Medal for Storytelling