Valencia is President of the Prince George's County Drug Policy Coalition, Inc., a nonprofit organization that embraces the public heath nature of substance abuse. The organization supports the community and families through its Empowering Future Leaders scholarship program and Real Talk radio show on 99.1 FM with Dr. Alvin and Friends. Aside from that, she has completed projects for the Baltimore Public School System, National Science Foundation, National Congress of Black Women and the National Council of Negro Women. She has taught sociology courses at Howard University and Bowie State University. She has served as a reviewer for various grant programs for the National Science Association. She received her B.A. degree from Virginia State University and M.A. and Ph.D. degrees from Howard University.
Awards and Recognition
- U.S. President's Volunteer Service Award, 2015 Outstanding Community Partner Award from Bowie State University.
- Her many awards include: citations from the Maryland General Assembly for the Empowering Future Leaders Scholarship program, Governor’s Citation for Work on the Improvement of the Status of Women, Woman of the Year for Southern Prince George’s Business and Professional Women, WHUR Hometown Hero Award, 9to5 National Association of Working Women Awards and a Presidential Appointment to the United Service Organization World Board of Governors from 2006-2008. Valencia holds a Ph.D. and M.A. degree from Howard.
Press and Media Mentions
- "Stepping Up: Successful Minority Women Offer Advice from the Top." Prince George's County Suite Magazine (Spring 2015) : 17.
- "Youth Take The House." Prince George's Suite Magazine (Fall/Winter 2015) :29.
- "MD 4th District Hopefuls Get Territorial at Forum." The Washington Informer. February 27, 2016.
- "Fired Up Candidates Talk about the Issues." William Ford Vol 51, No. 21 (March 3-9, 2016).
- "Seniors Press 4th District Candidates on Issues." The Washington Post, Arelis Hernandez, Sunday February 28, 2016.
- Prince George's Organizations to Sponsor Voter Education, Issues Forum, Vol. 51, No. 20 February 25-March 2, 2016.
- Southern Prince George's Business and Professional Women, Prince George's County Drug Policy Coalition and Tantallon Square Area Civic Association Host Forum, Enquirer-Gazette Thursday, February 25, 2016.
- "Three's Company: Three Honored at Women's History Program." Prince George's Suite Magazine, March 2014
- "A Book Club of Leaders: The Read to Lead Book Fair" Prince George's Suite , May 2015.
- "Money to Learn." Prince George's Suite, June 2015.
- "Charging Up the Future." Prince George's Suite, June 2014.
- "Finding Future Leaders." Prince George's Suite, May 2014
- "Read to Lead Book Fair," The Washington Informer, April 2015